Sunday, June 27, 2010

Mexico


Carla and I just spent two weeks in Mexico visiting hospitals. It was a very productive trip and I have come back with a whole new perspective on Mexico as a destination. It's not that I found the hospitals to be better than I expected. I knew there were good hospitals. But I had concerns that were put to rest by actually visiting.

When we first started Pacific Medways I researched Mexico as a destination. I found that most of the medical tourism destination hospitals were in Monterey or other northern Mexican cities - and that prices, while better than the U.S. were high for medical tourism. And getting to cities like Chihuahua or Hermosillo is just not that easy. I stalled on Mexico and we continued to focus on SE Asia.

We just visited a total of eight hospitals - five in Guadalajara and three in Mexico City. What we found were well staffed, well equipped and nicely appointed hospitals. And, both cities shine as great destinations for tourists and medical travelers. I had visited Mexico City six or seven times already, but just as a tourist. I had only been to Guadalajara once, also as a tourist. Seeing both cities as a medical tourism destination had us looking at them through a different lens and we liked what we saw.

In the next few weeks I will be doing a series here on what we found. Topics will include:
  • Mexico City for the medical tourist
  • Guadalajara for the medical tourist
  • Prices and how they compare to other medical tourist destinations
  • The hospitals we visited
  • The doctors we met
Pacific Medways is very excited about Mexico as a potential destination. Follow us here for the reasons why. In the mean time check out our Facebook page for pictures from our trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment